Books to Grow / Outreach Services
Books to Grow (BTG)
Books to Grow is a literacy program for preschool students enrolled in the North Carolina (NC) Pre-K classes within the Rowan-Salisbury School System. This take-home book bag program promotes daily "read-aloud" sessions between children and parents. The BTG Coordinator organizes and leads workshops to educate parents on the importance of routinely reading to their young child. A BTG book bag with 3 developmentally appropriate children's books and a journal are loaned to participating families on a weekly rotation. The BTG coordinator visits each classroom twice a month to lead fun and interactive book sharing times with the children.
Stories to Go
The Stories To Go Bookmobile serves licensed child care facilities, Head Starts, private schools and preschools throughout Rowan County. STG staff present highly interactive language development programs for children and child care providers. STG staff brings literature to life by using props such as puppets to stir children’s imagination while modeling proven story telling techniques. Children and child care providers listen to stories, dance to music, and participate in creative learning activities making story time a fun and educational experience. Children attending child care facilities board the child-friendly bookmobile and select books to take home and share with their families.
Rowan Reads to Newborns
Thanks to an anonymous $5,000 donation made to Rowan Public Library in July of 2015 and additional donation of $2,500 from Novant, Rowan Reads to Newborns obtained enough funding to support the program for 2 years. As a result, every child born at Novant Rowan Medical Center and their parents receive a quality library tote-bag containing a(n):
- High-contrast board book. This type of book is specifically designed for birth to 3 months. The simple black and white illustrations and patterns are easiest for newborns to see first. Parents with low literacy or limited English language skills may be uncomfortable reading to infants. This type of book makes it easier to read aloud or for them to create their own storyline.
- American Library Association’s Every Child Ready to Read brochure highlighting the importance of reading to your newborn and effective ways to do it.
- Smart Start Rowan brochure highlighting the services and resources they provide to a child’s first and most important teacher - their families.
- Milestone Moments brochure that allows parents to follow their newborn’s development by watching how they play, learn, speak, and act. This small booklet can be taken to pediatrician’s visits and used to discuss milestones a baby has reached and what to expect next.
- Novant Health Growth Chart.
- Library card application for newborns. Most parents do not realize that newborns are eligible to have their very own Rowan Public Library card. Parents can bring this application to any RPL location to receive their baby’s first library card. The card is free; the benefits are priceless.
- Videos for Rowan Reads to Newborns are available in Spanish or English
Rowan Public Library and the Library Foundation currently oversee and administer the Rowan Reads to Newborns project, funding, and programming.