Economic Services

The Rowan County Department of Social Services has created an e-mail address that all public assistance recipients can use to ask questions about their applications/cases. You do not need to know who the caseworker is in order to submit a question.

Para recibir asistencia en español, llame al 704-216-8428 y deje un mensaje de voz. Alguien le devolverá la llamada lo antes posible.

Apply for Benefits

If you wish to apply for public benefits, you can do so by:

  • going to the ePass website or,
  • print an application from NCDHHS website or,
  • pick up a paper application at Rowan County DSS agency and return by mail or,
  • contact the agency to have an application mailed to you or,
  • complete a phone application for Medicaid benefits or,
  • you have the option to email applications and supporting documentation to

If you wish to send verification documents (such as income verification, rent, etc.), please fax the documents to the agency at 704-216-7937 or upload the documents to the secure portal.  This portal is a secure upload.

Please note that documents received are pulled each work day to add to customer’s record.

Application Process

Applications for Benefits can be made:
  • at your local DSS office
  • online at the ePass portal
  • by mail phone, or by fax with a printed application. 
Phone requests for printed applications can be made by calling 704-216-8330. The date of the application is based on when the local DSS agency receives the document in the agency. Applications must be signed by the applicant and it is important to list as much information on the application as possible. Applicants are welcome to send any verification with the application regarding eligibility requirements.

NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) set policies and guidelines for the following programs administered through the local Department of Social Services. For more information, please visit NCDHHS’ website.
  1. Civil Rights Information
  2. Limited English Proficiency
  3. National Voter Registration Act

Final Notice to Class

Please review the Notice to Class of Proposed Settlement of Franklin v. Kinsley.” Franklin et al. v. Kinsley (PDF), formerly known as Hawkins et al. v. Cohen. This is a federal lawsuit filed in 2017; the case was certified by the Court as a class action lawsuit on behalf of N.C. Medicaid beneficiaries.

In this lawsuit, the Plaintiffs allege that the N.C. Medicaid agency, along with county Departments of Social Services (DSS), was terminating and reducing Medicaid benefits without considering eligibility under all Medicaid categories and without first providing timely and adequate written notice, in violation of federal Medicaid statute and the U.S. Constitution. The Defendant denied those allegations.

The Court has ordered that class members be notified of the proposed Settlement Agreement.  This notice contains important information regarding details of the Settlement Agreement:

  • Where the full Settlement Agreement can be found for review 
  • Beneficiary rights to object the lawsuit dismissal. 

Non-Discrimination Statement: USDA Programs (SNAP)

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Complaint Form, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA via mail, email, or fax.

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442