Rowan County Sheriff's Explorer Post Number 400
The Rowan County Sheriff's Office Explorer Post is an organization for boys and girls aged 14-21 who share a common interest in law enforcement as a career. Members train alongside full-time deputy sheriffs in areas of criminal law, arrest, search and seizure, defensive tactics, communications and detention. Once the explorer has completed the mandatory training, they are allowed to ride with deputies on the road and lake patrol. Once they reach the age of 21, they are then allowed to apply and pursue a career in law enforcement.
Sheriff Auten encourages all young adults to work closely with their local law enforcement agencies. He sees exploring as a way of getting the youth involved in community service and helping them make plans for their future. Sheriff Auten knows the importance of scouting and what it can do for one's future.
Goals and Objectives of Law Enforcement Exploring
- Further the Explorers’ education
- Encourage the Explorers’ participation in a wide variety of service activities
- Enhance the Explorers’ participation for the future roles as citizen, community member, leaders, and future law enforcement officers
The Purpose of Law Enforcement Exploring
- Build individual character
- Develop good citizenship
- Develop leadership skills and potential
- Gain appreciation for community service
The 6 Experience Areas in Exploring
- Developing a better understanding of America’s social, economic and governmental systems
- Gaining some insight and practical experience in careers
- Installing stable personal value firmly based on religious concepts
- Developing skill in dealing with people and encouraging a sense of family and community responsibility
- Encourage the skill and desire to help others
- Gaining a keen respect for the basic rights of others
- Encouraging a sense of pride in our American Heritage
- Preparing to give leadership and fulfill our responsibility to American society and to the people of the world
- Improving mental and emotional fitness
- Enhancing physical fitness and an appreciation for sports
- Developing a degree of self-reliance based on courage, initiative, and resourcefulness
- Understanding and appreciating the wise use of resources and the protection of our environment
The Explorer Code
As an Explorer...
I believe that America's strength lies in our trust in God and in the courage, strength and traditions of our people.
I will, therefore, be faithful in my religious duties and will maintain a personal sense of honor in my own life.
I will treasure my American heritage and will do all that I can to preserve and enrich it.
I will recognize the dignity and worth of all humanity and will use fair play and goodwill in my daily life.
I will acquire the Explorer attitude that seeks truth in all things and adventure on the frontiers of our changing world.