Birth Certificate Information
Certified copies of birth certificates for births occurring in Rowan County are issued at the Rowan County Register of Deeds office for $10 cash, with the following exceptions:
- Adoptions: If an individual was legally adopted their birth record will be located at North Carolina Vital Records. You can contact NC Vital Records at: 919-733-3000 or visit NC Department of Health and Human Service’s Website.
- Out Of County Births: The Rowan County Register of Deeds Office may also supply birth certificates for those individuals born in another North Carolina County. Applicants must appear in person at the Register of Deeds Office. In addition to the $10 certified copy fee, a search fee of $14 is charged in order to pull certificates from another county. Fees must be paid in cash. Out-of-county birth certificates cannot be requested online or via mailand may only be issued if the following criteria are met:
- Birth must have occurred in North Carolina
- Birth must have occurred 1971-forward
- Child must not have been adopted
For individuals born outside North Carolina, contact the county/state where the individual was born.
Please note certified copies of certificates are available only to the following people:
- A person requesting a copy of his or her own vital records or that of the person’s spouse, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, stepparent, or stepchild
- A person seeking information for a legal determination of personal or property rights
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of a person described above
Request a Certified Copy
You may request a certified copy in person, via mail or online.
To obtain a certified copy of a vital record in person, you may come into our office located at 402 N. Main Street, Suite 102, Salisbury, North Carolina 28144. When requesting a certified copy of a vital record in office, you must complete a request form and present a government issued photo I.D.
To obtain a birth, death and/or marriage certificate online please visit Rowan County Online Vital Record Request Website. Please note additional processing fees apply when requesting certified copies online.
To Request a copy via mail:
- Submit a Written Request: must include the full name on the certificate at the time of birth, date of birth, your relationship to the person whose birth certificate you are requesting, father’s full name, mother’s full maiden name and a contact number.
- A photo copy of your valid government issued photo ID
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
- A Money Order for $10.00 made payable to the Rowan County Register of Deeds
Rowan County Register of Deeds can only provide copies of birth certificates via mail for individuals born in Rowan County.
Visit Birth Certificate Frequently Asked Questions for more information.