Adult Care Homes Licensure & Monitoring

Adult care homes, commonly referred to as "rest" homes, family care homes, or assisted living, are homes which provide residential care for aged and disabled adults.  These homes provide around-the-clock or live-in staff that prepare meals, supervise medications and provide assistance with bathing, grooming and other personal care needs. 

Nurses are not required in adult care homes, although some adult care homes have nurses and certified nursing assistants on staff.  Aides provide assistance with the activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming and feeding.  Adult care homes are different from nursing homes in the level of care they provide and the qualifications of the staff.

NC Division of Health Service Regulation

The NC Division of Health Service Regulation is responsible for licensing these adult care homes.  Department of Social Services is responsible for providing an adult home specialist to monitor adult care homes, assuring services are provided to the residents as set forth by NC State standards.